Thursday, August 1, 2013

Days 7 and 8 (July 30/31)

Day 7-
We went to the surgeon's for my 1week follow up.  I got a really good report from the doc. My mouth is really clean-one if the cleanest he's seen one week post op:) and my bite was just a little out of the splint so they tried some loose bands and let that settle for a few minutes. When they checked, it still wasn't quite where they want it, so I got the heavier bands. That did the trick. So I left with 2 bands toward the front to pull things in line.  We got home several hours later and I crashed on the couch. When I woke up, my mom noticed my face had really swollen on the left again. Like, right after surgery swollen! We spent the next few hours calling the doc to relay different information to see what to do.  As I was sitting there, all of a sudden I started bleeding. I hadn't done that since right after surgery. When I pulled my cheek out to let my mom see what was going on in there, blood and puss started pouring out of the incision line by my bottom teeth.  SOOOO GROSS!!  We got some more direction from the doc and we were to talk to them this morning. I spent the whole night waking up every 2 hours or so to let the spot drain and to rinse with the antiseptic mouthwash. Not a restful night at all.

Day8-
I got up early this morning to shower and call the docs office right when they open at 8. The attending was already in a surgery, but when I told the woman all the information, she called him (or texted him) to see what to do. I reminded her that if I needed to be seen, it takes 2 hours to get there, I need travel time.  She called back fairly quickly with the news that the doc wanted to see me at 1:15. So we made another long trip up to the surgeon's office. (I won't miss that part) it was a fairly quick appointment. He did remove a few more stitches to let it drain more easily(yes, really gross!) suctioned it and irrigated it and pressed on my face (hard).  I got an antibiotic and was told to rinse with warm salt water 4 times a day and use warm compresses. He said really he would like to see me next week to check things, but he knows we have the huge drive, so he said to call and give him an update.  He could then decide if I need to come up before the splint removal appointment or just wait till then.  Obviously I am to call sooner if things aren't improving.
The plan is to wake up every couple of hours again tonight to let it drain and rinse my mouth and put the warm compress on it at least once during the night. We'll see how that goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment