Wednesday, August 14, 2013

22 Days (August 14)

Yesterday was technically 3 weeks since surgery. It really doesn't seem possible, but I'm glad that I have this much healing time behind me since I go to work next Monday.  The last three weeks have definitely seen their share of ups and downs during this process. I didn't update anything yesterday since today I had 2 appointments scheduled that would be good to update on,

First, I had to travel the 1 3/4 hour trip to the surgeon's office to get the splint removed-yes-REMOVED!! I was terrified that this would hurt alot, I told the intern that I was really nervous about it hurting, but it did not. It was gross-since food was still stuck in there, which I'm not suprised, but-gross!!! He said it didn't matter how thorough oral hygiene is, there will be food stuck in there when it's removed.  I couldn't wait to brush the backs of my top teeth. When doing that, I realized that the front teeth/palate area is numb , which I couldn't tell before since the splint covered it. I also had the stitches removed-some of those did hurt a bit, pulled and pinched type of feeling. Also, I told the surgeon that the left side of my face was more puffy again-starting yesterday morning, once I woke up. So he had a closer peek in there and poked it (with a sharp instrument-ouch) and sure enough-it started draining from that spot. He then irrigated it and suctioned it out again. Now it's open to drain. I need to keep doing the warm compresses and the salt water rinses (ugh!) He didn't prescribe more antibiotics yet. He said he would if it gets worse. The drainage doesn't look like the other infection did, so he wasn't as concerned. He did say that alot of weird stuff happens to me though. Tell me about it!!

The second appointment was with the orthodontist. Once the splint was removed, I needed a replacement wire put in the top jaw since they cut that wire during surgery to widen the top jaw. I was also dreading that appointment. It wasn't so bad getting the wire segments out, but putting the new one in-holy cow!! Not fun at all. They tried to be gentle, they even offered to wait in putting the wire in, but what good does that do? The surgeon said both appoinments need to be coordinated on the same day to get the wire placed to hold things stable since it basically replaces the splint. Also, I didn't want to worry over the appointment anymore. I could barely sleep last night as it was. So I said, please-just change the wire and be as gentle as possible!!  They did try, but when he had to trim the wire in the back at the bands, he really pressed on the right side. I have scar tissue back there and can't open very wide to begin with. That one really hurt-and made me cry-but I had to tell him that I have been very emotional that last few days anyway. He felt really bad and patted my shoulder and asked if I was ok, but I was ok and just wanted him to get done and leave my mouth alone!! He ended up having to trim the wire on the right side again-with smaller clippers-but they weren't very sharp and he needed another pair. Yeah, the right side took that abuse 3 or 4 times.  Not happy. The left side-where the infection was didn't even hurt. Can you believe that?? Also, I have one of the brackets on the top front that for some reason, the door doesn't like to stay closed on it and so he had to wire tie that one and that took a few minutes to sort out, with him pushing on my upper lip-right where the stitches had been only a few hours earlier-again-ouch!! The ortho also gave me a new configuration of elastics to wear (except for eating and cleaning). They are in the shape of triangles on each side. I do have a 1mm open bite after surgery, but it was expected and I know that there is more otho work to do, but my from teeth are so close to each other-it's freaky.  They have never been that close in my life.

So, after all that today, is it any wonder that I came home with a headache?? I put my comfy clothes on, took tylenol, made a cup of coffee and warmed up the compress for my achy face. Now I just need something soft and easy to eat for dinner and I will be better. I do hope that I sleep much better tonight after all that.

The next surgeon appointment is in three weeks and the the next orthodontist appointmenr is in 5 weeks.  Until next time...






No comments:

Post a Comment