Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Second Consultation

Last Friday, I had the second consultation with the surgeon recommended by the ortho I've chosen. (the first one was just one in my medical network-ortho knows of the 1st dr. but said that he doesn't do the procedures very often-not a good omen in my book).  Anyway, the 2nd dr. was fantastic! She was very personable, and took a long time to discuss things with me and my husband and to go over the many questions/issues I wanted to discuss. They do these surgeries weekly.  The discussion was at least an hour, with records taking another 1/2 hour or so to complete. I have had xrays taken recently by 2 orthos, but they did the first set of  molds.  I was waiting to get them done with the ortho because they want alot of money up-front for that and I wanted to make sure I had insurance approval for surgery before getting started with that much monetary commitment. The 2nd surgeon's office will also be submitting  the info for insurance pre-authorization, so I am anxiously awaiting news on that. She did definitely recommend that the bottom jaw be brought forward, she didn't really recommend upper jaw being impacted at all since in the natural position/talking I showed a normal amount of tooth and was only a little on the gummy side when smiling really big. If my upper jaw was moved up, then as I age, my skin would sag a bit and I would lose the aesthetics of showing the normal amount of tooth.  Apparently women can get away with showing a little more gum and still be acceptable. So unless she can tell that my top jaw needs widening-once she studied the xrays and molds they took, then she would just recommend lower jaw surgery. She said that if she impacted the upper jaw 5 mm then only 3mm is visible in changes to appearance, but bottom jaw shows 100% of the movement made. Interesting! In anticipation of the insurance approval, I made an appointment with the ortho for more records to be completed in preparation for braces! Can't wait to hear from insurance-already approved surgery with 1st dr. but want to know for sure with the 2nd dr, if it's approved!! Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment